What will happen if I join Engage to Change?
This Easy Read page will tell you about the Engage to Change project process.
To join the project please contact us.
If you live in North Wales, North Ceredigion or North Powys you can contact Agoriad on 01248 361392.
If you live in South Wales, South Ceredigion or South Powys you can contact ELITE on 01443 226664.
When you contact us, we will talk to you about the project and find out if you can take part.
If you cannot take part, we will give you information about other ways to get help.
If you can take part, we will arrange to meet you at your home.
The meeting will last about 1 hour.
Everything you tell us in the meeting will be private.
We will talk to you about:
- How much you want to work
- Your benefits
- How confident you are about travelling
- Qualifications that you can do while you work
- Your control over money
- Your social worker, if you have one
- Your education
- Your CV
- Whether you are looking for a job.
We will ask you questions about your support needs.
If you still want to take part in the project, you will sign a consent form at the end of the meeting.
We will arrange another meeting at your home to help us find the right job for you.
The second meeting will last about 2 hours.
We will ask you about:
- What you do during the day
- Your hobbies
- Things that you do not like
- Whether you can travel alone
- The types of transport in your area
- Local jobs in your area.
Then we will ask you about the type of place you would like to work:
- Whether you would like to do lots of different tasks, or the same tasks many times
- What days and times you would like to work
- Whether you would like lots of breaks or only a few breaks
- Whether you prefer being warm or cold
We will ask you:
- Whether you prefer working with other people or working alone
- Whether you like a quiet workplace or a noisy workplace
- Whether you would like to wear a uniform or not
- Whether you would like to work with people your own age or people any age
- How clean you would like the workplace to be
- Whether you want to do physical work or not
- Whether you would like to work in a small workplace or a big workplace.
We will ask you about your skills.
Then we will go through a list of jobs for you to choose your favourites.
Here are some of the jobs we will talk about:
- Animal care
- Caring for people
- Hotels and food
- Flower shop or garden centre
- Leisure centre
- Office work
- Builder’s merchant
- Car cleaning
- Caretaker or handyperson
- Deliveries or removals
- Garage worker
The final part of the meeting will be an assessment.
The assessment will check what you know about:
- Telling the time
- Using a computer
- Health and safety
- Workplace rules.
We will also check how good you are with your hands.
We will then use all this information to help you find the right job.
We will also help you get ready to get a job in the following ways.
- Writing a CV
- Filling in job applications
- Training courses
- Work experience
- Travel training
- Supported employment visits
- Supported interviews
- Supported work trials
- Advice and guidance.
When you are ready to start a job, we will help you find the right job for you.
You will have your own job coach to support you in the workplace.
Your job coach will support you as much or as little as you need during the placement.
The placement will last 6 to 12 months.
At the end of the placement we hope that you will be able to get a permanent job.
If not, we can tell you about other services that can help you.
Or we can tell you about volunteering in your local community.