Grace Looks Back
Name: Grace Smith
How do you feel about your time on the Project SEARCH programme?
I feel more confident being on Project SEARCH, I made new friends being on Project SEARCH, I have improved my communications skills and I feel I have come a long way since being on Project SEARCH.
What internships have you done since you started Project SEARCH?
Talybont Library/ASSL – Library Assistant
Estates Department, McKenzie house – Admin Assistant
Heath Hospital – Assistant Technician
What has been your favourite internship and why?
My favourite internship is Heath Hospital, it has been the best because it was fun working up there. I like the tasks and the people have been friendly.
Describe some of the tasks you carried out during the year.
- Labelling and archiving books in the university archives.
- Locating and disposing of books no longer needed.
- Processing and scanning books into the library system.
- Collecting and processing books requested on the electronic library system.
- Updating Estates electronic systems with completed maintenance tasks.
- Updating electronic records.
- Disposing of archived confidential records.
- Scanning, Photocopying and Shredding.
- Making simulation drugs for the students.
- Tidying up the SDL cupboards.
- Filling up the drugs cupboards.
How has it helped you to be on Project SEARCH and what have you learned during the year?
It helped me with my communications skills, making eye contact and talking to people.
How have Lily (job coach), Kerri and Bev (college instructors) helped you during the year? What kind of support have you had from them?
They helped me with doing my 10 step communication plan, communicating to people in work.
They helped with new tasks in work.
They helped me when I got stuck in work.
What kind of jobs are you applying for and have you been successful yet?
I have applied for Domestic Assistant at Cardiff University and am hoping to get a job with the medical education centre.
Now that Project SEARCH is coming to an end, what would you like to do, or what do you plan to do in the future?
My plan for the future is to work somewhere like the Heath Hospital with the trainee students.